Spring time sale? Is your house social media ready?
Spring is here! Looking to sell your house? Let's make buyers fall in love with your house. We may have undergone an exciting new makeover, but as long established estate agents in Holmfirth and Mirfield we know a thing or two about how to make your property go from ‘new to market’ to ‘sold’.
And with spring here, if you’re looking to sell - then now is the perfect time to start preparing it for market. Stand by for a flurry of houses for sale in Holmfirth, Mirfield and across Huddersfield now that the weather, and longer days, are on their way. But make sure yours stands out! Spring is traditionally one of the strongest times of the year for a spike in house sales, and last year was particularly strong after a flurry of activity (with price increases to match) following the extended lockdown over winter.
But back to 2022. In the good old days, estate agents talked about “kerb appeal” - focusing on how your house looks to prospective buyers from the view they get from the street. That advice is still relevant today (more on that in a moment), but with social media playing such an important role in house sales and lettings, getting your home ‘Insta’ ready is more important than ever.
In most cases, the chances are that your house will be viewed by people looking at it on their phones, so first impressions really do count. As we know, filters and the angle from which a picture is taken can dramatically change the way a room looks and feels - so it’s important to make sure you’re giving the best impression you can, but also an honest one too.
Here’s a few quick tips on how to give your house “buyer appeal” before we take those photos:
- De-clutter as much as you can, but don’t over do it - buyers will be interested in how you’ve dealt with storage and used the space you have to best effect.
- Ideally we’ll aim to take photos on a sunny day, but if you have small or dark rooms, think about giving them a lick of paint in a brighter colour. On cloudier days use side lamps to create accents of light and colour.
- Kitchens and bathrooms are key features that really help sell houses - so make sure both these rooms are clean and stylish. A bunch of flowers in the kitchen, and a few well chosen toiletries in the bathroom help give it a contemporary, fresh feel.
- Bedrooms - making the bed is a must, but don’t make the rooms look too fussy with too many cushions or personal effects.. For children’s bedrooms, tidy away toys.
- Gardens - tuck away unnecessary clutter and if your garden furniture is on its last legs after too many winters left in the rain, then take it to the tip. Let people see the potential your garden has to offer.
So, back to that all-important kerb appeal. If your social media pics have done the job, your prospective buyer may want to do a recce before making an appointment. This is the bit when you don’t get advanced notice to pluff your cushions, bake some bread and make some fresh coffee! They’ll just be driving by and checking you out.
Once your house is on the market, keep the outside of your property in tip top condition.
- Cut the lawn and trim hedges, if you have them.
- Put a planter or two by the front door to give a pop of colour.
- Clean your windows and window sills to give your home a fresh sparkle - but make sure your curtains or blinds are neatly arranged behind them.
- Wash that front door too - it’s the first piece of house furniture your buyers will encounter. Fancy adding a lick of paint. Then a 2020 survey by sellhousefastuk reveals that a blue door is the best colour to help sell your house - and can add on average an extra £4k to your property.
- If you have outdoor lighting - make sure it works, and is clean too.
- Pathways and driveways - remove weeds and give them a good washdown.
Just remember, that when it comes to house viewings, the most important journey your buyers will make is the one from their car to your front door. They’ll be taking in a whole load of information in a short space of time before they ring your doorbell, so give yourself every chance for success with these cheap and effective tips.
Don’t just take our word for it, this very latest article from the January 2022 edition of Ideal Magazine not only gives some great tips but draws on research from House Beautiful Magazine, published in 2017 that found that house buyers were prepared to pay 25% more for a property where the owners had shown to have taken care of its exterior.
Whatever you do, get the right price for your property. Guessing can be an expensive mistake. If you want an expert valuation, we’re available 24/7 to come and evaluate your house, flat, bungalow or apartment. Just check out our full range of estate agency services in Holmfirth and Mirfield.
Contact the team on 01484 680600 in Holmfirth or 01924 497801 in Mirfield.